Cheryl Wetherington -
Article & Video: Task linking techniques.
Linking tasks allows your project dates to adjust automatically.
There are three ways to link tasks together in Viewpath. Begin by selecting the tasks to be linked, then clicking on the Link menu.
- Finish-to-Start is the most common linking type, and indicates one task must be completed before the next task can begin. For quick finish-to-start linking, click the link icon on the toolbar.
- Start-to-Start linking specifies the tasks must start on the same date.
- Finish-to-Finish linking stipulates the tasks must finish on the same date.
Note you can also Unlink tasks from the toolbar.
When tasks are linked together, one task is referred to as the Predecessor and the other is referred to as the Successor. If a Predecessor task is delayed, all the successor tasks automatically adjust in your Project schedule and maintain their relative position to the Predecessor.
Scroll over to view the Predecessor column. In this example, the predecessor appears in the list below the successor. Simply begin typing the name of the Predecessor. An ID number appears below the name. This allows you to differentiate between two tasks with the same name. Simply add the ID column to view each Tasks ID. Hit Enter on your keyboard.A link line now connects these tasks.
Click on the arrow in the column header to add the Successor column. This view allows you to see all successor tasks to which this predecessor is linked.
LINKING MULTIPLE PREDECESSORS
There are two options to link multiple predecessors:
- In the Predecessor field, begin typing the line number or name of the task (e.g. "Internal Report"). Once you have selected the task, double click in the Predecessor field again, and place a comma at the end of the first predecessor. Then type the name or line number of the next predecessor to link.
- Select the checkboxes for the first Predecessor-Successor pair and click on the Link icon. Then, click on the checkboxes for the second Predecessor-Successor pair, and select the link icon again.
We have a passion for Customer Success - let us know if you have ideas!