Article & Video: Column Options
Add/Remove/Adjust Data Columns
Place your mouse in the column header and an arrow will appear. Click on that arrow to bring up the Column options menu:
Use this list to sort, add or remove columns.
Special Note: There are several Cost columns available in the Add Column view. Please be aware only those Resources who have been explicitly assigned rights of Manager or Owner in the Resources tab will be able to view or edit data in those particular fields, although you can add/remove these columns to your view. If you do not have Manager or Owner access level on the project, the cost fields will simply be blank.
Start & Finish Columns - The menu on the Start & Finish columns includes "Date Format." This function allows you to view dates/times in military, European or US formats. (At present, there is no option to show just the dates without showing the times.)
Adjust column widths by dragging the line that separates two columns.
To move columns around, place your mouse at the top of any column. You will note the top portion of that column becomes highlighted.
Click and hold on the highlighted area, drag the column to the desired position, and release the mouse button. The column will move accordingly.
Default Columns include:
- WBS - Work Breakdown Structure automatically numbers tasks including decimal values for "Child" tasks that are indented under a "Parent" task.
- Task - Task Name.
- (Attachment) - Link to online docs (e.g. Google Docs) or upload documents from your computer.
- (Comments) - Add comments. Comments are time-stamped, identify the user who made the comment, and can be removed.
- Assignments - Assign Resources to this task.
- Complete - Indicates the % Complete.
- Status - Indicates when an unfinished task is with 24 hours of being due or an unfinished task is late.
- Duration - Length of time that you are allowing for a task to be completed. The default value is always "1 Day?" with the question mark serving as a visual reminder you have not explicitly set the Duration for this task.
- Start - Start Date for a task.
- Finish - Finish Date for a task.
- Predecessor - Indicates the name of the task this task is linked to.
Optional Columns include:
- Advanced>Category* - Use this field to build your own list of categories.
- Advanced>Critical Path* – Indicates whether a task is part of the Critical Path of the project. Critical Path is determined by Finish to Start linking.
- Advanced>Department* - Use this field to build your own list of departments.
- Advanced>Restricted* - Tasks designated as Restricted will be hidden from any Snapshots created using the Publish tool (Pro Edition only).
- Advanced>Risk* - Select a risk level between 1-5.
- Backlog* - List Tasks without a Start/Finish Date. This lets you easily put prioritizing and scheduling details on hold until sometime in the future. Agile teams can create a "Backlog" of un-scheduled Tasks. To use this feature, just add the "Backlog" column and check the "Yes" box on any Task that is not linked to another task.
- Baselines>Planned Columns* - Displays values at the moment when you Set Baselines. These fields do not need to be exposed at the time that the Set Baselines feature is used.
- Blocked - Indicates this task cannot start until another task (e.g. its Predecessor) has been completed.
- Buffer - A delay or "lag time" between the end of this task and the beginning of the next (linked) task.
- Color* - Highlight a task row with one of 12 optional colors.
- Constraints>Constraint* - Designate Must Finish On (MSO), Start No Later Than (SNLT), and various other optional constraints.
- Constraints>Constraint Constraint Date* - Choose the Constraint type then enter the Constraint Date. The Gantt displays a graphic to indicate that a Constraint value has been set.(see video below)
- Costs>Bill Rate* - The "Bill Rate" value is set in the Resources section and indicates the per-hour dollar amount being paid to a Resource. You may be paying $20/hour to a Resource in which case the value here will display as "20." When that resource is assigned a task, the system calculates the Bill Rate times the value in the "Work" field and displays the total in the "Labor Cost" field.
- Costs>Billable* - Set the value to "Yes" if this task will be Billable on the Time Sheet
- Costs>Labor Cost* - The Labor Cost field displays a value on tasks assigned to a Resource which has a value included in the Bill Rate field in the Resources tab. The values in this field are automatically calculated as the product of the values in the Bill Rate and the Work fields.
- Costs>Material Cost* - Enter any numeric value in this field to indicate the cost of materials.
- Costs>Other Cost* - Enter any numeric value in this field to indicate miscellaneous costs.
- Costs>Total Cost* - This field displays the sum of the Labor, Material and Other Cost fields.
- Created/Created By - View the date a task was created and who created it.
- Description - Provide a description of the task.
- ID - This is a unique, system-generated number assigned to a task. It is used to identify tasks in the Predecessor or Successor fields. For example, if you have two tasks called "Team Meeting" which happen at different phases of the project, when you type in the words "Team Meeting" in the Predecessor field you will be able to identify the correct Predecessor based on the ID.
- Labels* - Use this field to create your own Labels for tasks. Use the Reports feature to sort search-results by the Labels field.
- Location - Enter any values in this field to specify a location for this task.
- Milestone - Indicate whether this task is a Milestone of the project. (see video below)
- Parent - Indicates this task has "Children" indented below it.
- Priority - Set A, B or C priority levels to tasks.
- Scheduled* - By default, all tasks have a "Yes" value in this field which indicates the task has a Start and Finish date and will appear on the Gantt chart. For tasks which do not yet have a specific Start/Finish, un-check the box next to "Yes."
- Successors - Identifies the Name and ID of tasks to which this task is a Predecessor. You can assign Successors by simply typing in the name of the appropriate Successor task in this field.
- Updated/Updated by - View the date that a task was updated and who updated it.
- Variance* - Displays the difference between Planned vs. Actual data by comparing your current data to the data that was inserted into the Planned fields when you set the Baselines
- Work>Schedule by Work* - For the most accurate project planning, enter values in the "Work" field then choose "Yes" in this "Schedule by Work" field. The Duration for the task will be grayed out and will be calculated based on the Work field. For example, if a task has 8 hours listed in the Work field, the Duration will show "8 Hours" as well. If you assign this task to two resources that are both 100% available on this project, the Duration changes to 4 hours while the Work remains 8. Further details are demonstrated in this Resource Allocation video.
- Work>Work - The number of hours that this task should take (may vary from the value in the Duration field).
- Work>Work Completed - Input the number of hours that you have already worked on this task. Note that the "Complete" column will automatically display the % Complete based on Work Completed divided by the Work hours.
- Work>Work Remaining - This field displays the sum of Work minus Work Completed. You can also enter a value in this field. For example, if a task has a value of 6 hours of Work and you have entered 4 hours in the Work Complete field, the Work Remaining will state "2 hours." However, at this point, you may realize that you will need an additional hour. You can change the Work Remaining to "3 Hours." This will change the value in the Work field to 7 hours. Note that the Complete percent will also automatically adjust.
*Available for users on a paid edition.