Article: Creating a project template
Creating a new Template is simple. Just click on the "Template" menu on the Projects tab and choose "New Template." A "New Template Settings" wizard will appear:
Simply enter a Name for the Template then click on the Next button.
Viewpath allows you to choose to:
- Create a brand new template - Creates a blank template with no tasks or resources.
- Create a template from an existing project - Creates a copy of an existing project. You can select a new Start Date and choose whether to also duplicate the Resources list from that project.
- Create a template using a template - Creates a copy of a template. You can select a new Start Date and choose whether to also duplicate the Resources list from that template.
Simply select your choices throughout the wizard and click on the "Next" button.
- Import Resources: The last step of the New Project wizard when creating a duplicate of an existing Project or Template is the "Import Resources" page. You are given three options:
- Import All Resources - Will import all Resources from the Template/Project
- Import Assigned Resources - Will import only those Resources that have been assigned one or more tasks within the Template/Project. Those Resources that do not have assigned tasks will not be imported.
- None - Will not import any resources from the Template/Project.
When the template is created, it will open in a new tab across the top and display the project contents.
Note: Anyone listed as a Resource on the Template with an access level of "Observer" or higher will have access to the Template in their account. Only an Editor or Owner will be able to make changes to the Template itself.
When a new project is created based on this template, that Project will reflect the most recent edits to the Template. Once the Project has been created, there is no direct association between the Template and that Project. Any edits made to a Template will not impact any existing Projects originally created from the Template.
TIP: You can use placeholders in the Resource list on a Template and assign them to individual tasks. When you create a new Project based on that Template, simply change the name and email address in the Resources tab and the assigned tasks will now be assigned to that Resource!